- Setting the vision for AGS and with the help of the executive board
- Planning the short and long term strategic, operational and organizational goals for AGS
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer of AGS. Chairing all meetings and deliberations of the AGS Council
- Building and sustaining vital relationships with campus partners on all matters pertaining to graduate students
- Recognizing graduate student needs and working with campus administration to fulfill those needs
- Facilitate the creation and continuation of AGS Programs and Events
- Developing the annual AGS Budget. Oversee the distribution and expenditure of funds depending on project needs
- Along with VP Finance, spearhead fundraising efforts for AGS from both on campus and external business community to fuel increased programming serving all graduate students
Michelle Chan is a 3rd year PhD student in the Program in Nursing Science. Her research focuses on stress, genetics, and the gut microbiota in stroke rehabilitation. Michelle enjoys training for triathlons, arts and crafts, and travel and fashion blogging.
- Represent graduate and professional student interests to all on-campus entities that affect students’ needs and rights, such as the Coordinated Governance Group, Student Health Insurance Advisory Committee, Grad Council, and Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Campus Climate and Inclusion
- Chair the Internal Committee, which advocates on behalf of graduate students
- Liaise with other student groups, such as the International Student Committee, ASUCI (Associated Students of UCI), AMS (Associated Medical Students), MSA (Merage Students Association), PVRC and VRC (Palo Verde and Verano Residents Councils)
- With the President, serve as a primary advocate on issues of campus housing, health care, parking, mental health, and campus climate
- Coordinate programs related to Internal Affairs
- Coordinate AGS Symposium Logistics
Connor Strobel is a 3rd year PhD student in Sociology. His current research examines the role of culture in communities prior to, during, and after major economic events. This is his second year in AGS. He also enjoys living at the ARC, trivia, and torturing people with ‘Dad Jokes.’
- Chair the External Committee which advocates at the systemwide and national levels on behalf of UCI graduate students
- Serve on the Board of Directors of the UC Student Association (UCSA)
- Conduct policy research and advocacy with UCSA on the 2015-2016 Graduate Agenda
- Maintain relationships with local, state, and national legislators representing UCI Students
- Educate students on issues affecting graduate education at the local and national level
- Lobby on behalf of UCI students at our local offices as well as Capitol Hill
Valerie Acevedo is a 2nd-year master’s student in public policy. Her research interests are in education and social welfare policy. She is particularly passionate about serving low-income, minority communities through policy formulation, advocacy, and assessment. As a dedicated and self-motivated educator, Valerie hopes to influence educational policy at the system-wide and federal levels. In her free time, Valerie enjoys running, hiking, exploring the city and spending time with her family.
- Work with the Social Committee to bring social and cultural events and programming to the graduate and professional student community
- Oversee efforts to bring a wide variety of programming to students, including but not limited to hiking and outdoors activities, the Explore event series, the Happy Grad Project, family friendly events, and more
- Represent graduate student’ interests and needs on planning committees for campus-wide events like Graduate Student Orientation
- Plan outreach programs and events that support graduate students’ health and well-being, academic success, and social lives
Shantell is a 2nd year Masters student in the Biomedical and Translational Science Program. Her research focuses on cognitive impairment and reduced QOL associated with prolonged use of chemotherapy drugs in brain cancer populations. She is an adventure and adrenaline seeker who enjoys hiking, live music, soccer, triathlon training, making small films, and being around good people.
The Vice President of Finance provides oversight and allocates AGS resources in various graduate and professional student funding requests for travel, projects, and finance programs. He oversees the finance committee and represents graduate students on fees and referendums at the executive level. This position works closely with the Pub Advisory Board (PAB), Student Fee Advisory Committee (SFAC), the AGS Core Committee and AGS General Council.
– pending –
- Work with the Communications Committee and the Campus Communications Director to ensure important issues and information are brought to the graduate community
- Appoint graduate student representatives to external committees like UCI’s Academic Senate
- Ensure transparency by keeping Council attendance and representation records
- Manage AGS’ documentation including legislation, meeting agendas and minutes, governing documents, meeting calendar and website
- When necessary, Chair a Constitution Revision Committee
Ryan Lewis is a 4th year doctoral student in UCI’s School of Education with a specialization in Educational Policy and Social Context. His research focuses on inequality within K-12 public schools and the policies that impact our nation’s most vulnerable student populations. When not crunching data he is hiking with his dog or watching Dodger baseball.