Note: If you are having a medical emergency, please call 911.

We aren’t doctors, but we thought these links might be helpful if you’re in looking to navigate being a healthy, happy grad student at UCI. Take a look, but please contact the Student Health Center if you have health related questions!

Mental Health & Counseling

What mental health services are offered for graduate students?

ANY STUDENT with or without the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) can seek short-term and/or crisis care at the UCI Counseling Center. Students can also seek referrals to long-term care from the UCI Counseling Center.

Long-term psychiatric services are available at the Student Health Center or at off-campus providers. Students can obtain a referral to an off-campus provider through the UCI Counseling Center. Students can also self-refer for psychiatric services. Click here to learn more about the self-referral process.

Where can I go to get help related to mental health? Where can I seek counseling?

If you are having an emergency, dial 911.

There are many counseling services available at UCI:

Counseling Center

For other mental health issues, the Counseling Center is located on campus, 203 Student Services 1, and is open Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm. You can call them between these hours, (949) 824-6457, and a staff member will assist you. The UCI Counseling Center provides short term care (approximately 8 visits) for free.

For urgent matters, call the main telephone number at the Counseling Center and select option 2. If you need help outside these hours, you can call the UC Irvine Police Department for on-campus emergencies at (949) 824-5222 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) at 1(800) 273-TALK.

Student Health Center

For long term mental health care/counseling, you can seek a referral from the Counseling Center or seek psychiatric services at the Student Health Center. Click here to learn more about long term care at the SHC.

Campus Assault Resources & Education (CARE)

Provides direct victim services as well as campus education on sexual violence, partner abuse, relationship health, and personal safety.

Off-campus Providers

For long term care and specialists, graduate students can self-refer to off-campus providers. Confirm with a provider that they take your insurance. For graduate students on the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP), there is a $10 copayment for visits at the SHC or UC Medical Centers. There is a $15 copay for Anthem Blue Cross PPO providers (Prudent Buyer Network), and all other providers are covered at 60%.





Where can I go to get psychiatric services?

To schedule an initial appointment, call (949) 824-1835. Follow this link for detailed information about psychiatry services.


I’m not sure if I need counseling. What should I do?


Consider calling the Counseling Center for advice or making an Initial Appointment at the Counseling Center, which can be done online, in person, or via phone. The Counseling Center also offers several online screenings. Click here to access these resources.


 What are some UCI resources for general wellness?

The UC Irvine Wellness, Health, & Counseling Services, a division of the UC Irvine Student Affairs, has a website to link students to available resources: Student Health Center, Campus Recreation, Health Education Center, Disability Services Center, Counseling Center, Campus Assault Resources & Education (CARE), Career Center, and Campus Social Work.  

[/fusion_accordion] [/accordions]


 Where can I go to see a provider other than the Student Health Center?

Follow this link to search for a provider in your area: Anthem Blue Cross PPO Provider Search Tool.


Where can I go to receive health care on the UC Irvine campus?

Registered UC Irvine students may see a provider at the on-campus Student Health Center. Student Health Center. The Student Health Center is located on 501 Student Health (Building 5). The Student Health Center can be reached at (949) 824 5301 and is open Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm. In response to student requests, for the Fall 2014 quarter, the Student Health Center will be open on Saturdays from 9am – 1pm and on Tuesdays until 7pm. The Student Health Center observes federal holidays and is closed on Veterans’ Day and Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.


What services are offered at the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center offers:


 Can I get dental care on campus?


Yes! There is a dental clinic located on campus at Student Health II, 500 East Peltason Drive. The dental clinic is able to provide a wide range to preventative dental care and procedures including fillings, simple oral surgery, root canal treatments by an endodontist, gum surgery by a periodontist, tooth whitening, crown and bridge, partials and dentures, implant crowns, nightguards, cosmetic dentistry, preventive dentistry as well as after hours emergency on call service.

Learn more here: Dental services.


Who do I call if the Student Health Center is closed and I have a medical question?

As a student, you have access to a 24/7 Nurseline at 1(800) 557-0309. You will be able to ask your question to a Registered Nurse. Follow this link for more information about this resource: Nurseline Flyer (updated 2013-14).

[/fusion_accordion] [/accordions]

Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP)

 Where can I get general information about my GSHIP (graduate student health insurance plan) coverage?

Follow these link to see UCI’s specific GSHIP plan information. These documents includes brief updates about the plan:


As of 2014-15, our health insurance plan is operated by Anthem. Here is the link to Anthem’s site where you get general information and customer support: Anthem insurance.

The UC-wide site also has links with additional information about GSHIP:



 I have my own insurance plan, how do I waive out of GSHIP?

Learn more about waiving out of GSHIP here.



How does the referral system in the Student Health Center work? How do I go about seeing a specialist?



Would my dependents (children, spouse, domestic partners, etc) be able to get health insurance through me (GSHIP)? if so, how?


Students might be able to obtain more affordable coverage for their partners/dependents through the Covered California insurance marketplace. Click here to learn about enrolling in insurance through Covered California.

Students may also qualify for reduced-cost coverage via MediCal. Contact a UCI Social Worker or visit this website for more information.



Is there a way to view my insurance benefits/coverage/claims online?


If you have GSHIP, create an online account at

You can also make appointments for counseling or for the Student Health Center online by going to



 What kinds of emergency services are available to me?

NOTE: If you are having an emergency, please call 911!

Click here for more information about emergency services and locations of the nearest emergency rooms that take GSHIP.

For urgent care: you also have access to a 24 hour advice nurse who can help you determine if you need to go into the emergency room and to help you locate the nearest emergency room. The most up-to-date phone number will be on the back of your medical/GSHIP insurance card.



 What preventative services are available to me through GSHIP?


Check out this document for what GSHIP covers (including dental, vision, preventive checkups, etc).