AGS COUNCIL MINUTES
Tuesday, October 13, 2015

  • Called to Order by Phan at 5:02
  • Attendance
    • Baranwal arrives late at 5:04, Chavarin arrive late at 5:04 Fung arrives late at 5:06 Dizon arrives late at 5:10 Khosravi arrives late from an excused absence at 6:12 Olvera arrives late at 6:23
  • Approval of Minutes
    • Approved
  • Approval of Agenda
    • Approved
  • Guest List
  • Public Comment
    • No public comment

Ø  Old Business

·         Phan: No old business

Ø  New Business

  • Interview of Academic Senate Commissioner (Academic Affairs) 5:05
    • Interview will be off record

Ø  Phan: Passes chair to VP Fung

  • Interview of Speakers Commissioner (Academic Affairs) 5:12
    • Interview will be off record
  • Interview of Liaisons Commissioner (President) 5:20
    • Interview will be off record

·         Fung: Seeing that Elections commissioner is not here we will move on to the next item of business

·         Fung: Will the author please read the legislation

 

·         R51-13 Creation of Constitutional Revision Ad-Hoc Committee 5:30

·         Carlson: Motion to open disc Second: Barnoy

o   Phan: The constitution has not been updated in many years and is outdated and last year we did not reach quorum to pass a constitutional revision, so this legislation will create a committee that will work to pass constitutional revisions

§  Vote on R51-13 Passes 10-0-1 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Chavarin, Barnoy, Khandadash, Arkules, Baranwal, Vergara, Raza, Reynolds Abstain: Phan

·         Fung: Seeing that Elections commissioner is not here we will move on to the next item of business

·         Fung: Will the author please read the legislation

 

·         R51-14 Creation of ASUCI Refurbishment Ad-Hoc Committee 5:38

o   Phan: ASUCI is in desperate need of refurbishment, this committee will use and allocate ASUCI reserve money to purchase equipment or services necessary to create a nice and more professional office

o   Gonering: How would the allocation of the reserve funds work?

o   Phan: Yes it would need to be reviewed by council before being allocated

§  Vote on R51-14 Passes 9-0-1 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Chavarin, Barnoy, Khandadash, Arkules, Baranwal, Vergara, Raza, Phan Abstain: Reynolds

·         Fung: Seeing that Elections commissioner is not here we will move on to the next item of business

·         Fung: Will the author please read the legislation

 

·         R51-15 Creation of MyUCI Ad-Hoc Committee 5:42

o   Phan: As you all know the ASUCI fee doesn’t adjust for inflation and hasn’t been adjusted since 1988 and that causes a decrease in our actual budget. Without this increase we will be financially crippled in 5-10 years.

o   Gonering: At my CC our student services fee was $3 less than here and the difference in involvement is massive with ASUCI involved in national lobbing and statewide issues. To remain a serious student government this sort of increase is necessary.

o   Barnoy: This committee isn’t to raise fees it is to discuss the raising of fees and what ASUCI wants to do in that area

o   Phan: Additionally they will work on marketing and elections to pass resolutions so this is successful.

§  Vote on R51-15 Passes 8-0-2 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Phan, Barnoy, Arkules, Baranwal, Vergara, Reynolds Abstain: Chavarin, Khandadash

·         Fung: Seeing that Elections commissioner is not here we will move on to the next item of business

·         Fung: Will the author please read the legislation

 

·         R51-16 Granting Anteater TV to use Domain www.anteater.tv 5:51

Ø  Fung passes chair to Phan 5:52

o   Fung: Anteater TV is the student broadcast service and they would like to use the domain www.anteater.tv to Anteater TV

Ø  Phan passes chair to Fung 5:54

§  Vote on R51-16 Passes 10-0-0 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Chavarin, Barnoy, Khandadash, Arkules, Baranwal, Vergara, Reynolds, Phan

·         Fung: Seeing that Elections commissioner is not here we will move on to the next item of business

·         Fung: Will the author please read the legislation

                                                                                                                       

R51-17 Academic Affairs Commissioners 5:58

o   Carlson: Motion to amend the legislation to change working fixing spelling error Second: Reynolds

§  Vote by acclimation on amendment Passes 11-0-0 Vote on R51-13 Passes 10-0-1 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Chavarin, Barnoy, Khandadash, Arkules, Baranwal, Vergara, Raza, Reynolds, Phan

§  Vote on R51-17 Passes 10-0-1 Vote on R51-13 Passes 10-0-1 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Chavarin, Barnoy, Arkules, Baranwal, Vergara, Raza, Phan, Reynolds Abstain: Khandadash

 

  • Interview of Elections Commissioner (EVP) 6:03
    • Interview will be off record

 

·         R51-18 Call for the Creation of Judicial Oversight Committee 6:13

o   Khosravi: This is basically a copy of last year’s legislation. Most of you know that this is about the procedure of appointments to legislative council. The appointment has been something we have done for many many years; however last year judicial board put an end to that. To create a solution we have changed the elections codes to satisfy J board, however after that was passed we realized there was a small loophole that we are closing now, meaning that we would have to hold special elections immediately. This bill will remedy that. Now as the president we vetoed the last bill and will re-pass it later. Now we must unanimously vote for this committee to be created.

o   Phan: So is this what we want to do or is this what judicial board wants us to do?

o   Khosravi: This is a mutually agreed upon solution between us and judicial board

o   Phan: My concern is that this committee will have no power and will not be able to hold any influence with judicial board

o   Khosravi: What this is all about is between now and week 9. Next quarter we will address the problems that arise because of this bill, but this is a remedy for now.

§  Vote on R51-18 Passes 8-0-4 Yea: Carlson, Chavarin, Barnoy, Khandadash, Arkules, Baranwal, Phan, Reynolds Abstain: Heyward, Vergara, Raza, Olvera

 

Ø  Council Intern Program Reports

    • Phan: The Club meeting was a big success. A lot of clubs showed up and we were able to make contact with many people.

·         Fung: Next item on the agenda is committee breakouts for 10 minutes

o   Fung seeing no objections we are now in committee breakouts

Ø  Committee Reports

    • Rules
      • SPFB apps close this Friday; we got a lot of applicants. SPFB is actually a pretty important commission because they allocate a lot of money.
    • Public Info
      • We are working on being more transparent and so we went over ideas for publicity
    • Finance
      • There’s going to be a refurbishment for Anteater TV to provide them with proper equipment. We highly suggest that refurbishment committee meets as soon as possible so we can start working. Exec budget reports are due soon
    • Advocacy
      • We are thinking about going to the MRC to try to find a way for students to check out computers for more than two hours if they really need it.

Ø  Phan Motion to adjourn Second: Carlson

o    Meeting is adjourned 6:34