AGS COUNCIL MINUTES
Tuesday, January 17, 2017

 

AGS COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday, January 17, 2017

 

 

I. Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 5:37 by AGS President Michelle Chan

Quorum established with 19 members and 9 proxies (24.5 total, 20 needed)

 

 

II. Approve Agenda (1 minute) 

Motion to approve the agenda by Connor

Seconded by Aaron

No objections, motion passes.

 

 

III. Approve minutes from previous meeting (1)

Motion to approve the minutes from previous meeting by Connor

Seconded by Aaron

No objections, motion passes

 

 

IV. Executive Reports:

a.    Presidents report (3)

        i. Student Regent and advisor application is due in February, ask Michelle or go directly to UC Regent website. Two-year term, in which you are the Regent in the second year.

        ii. Updating budget in next meeting, to check in on accounts and consider possible loss on income from Pub finances.

 

b. VP Internal report (2)

        i. First meeting is next Tuesday at noon in AGS office if you can join, and every other Tuesday after that. We’ll keep you posted on projects coming up

 

c. VP External report (2)

        i. Recent tuition hike – UCSA has a campaign called “Fund the UC” and has asked each campus to do something related to campaign. We chose passing around a petition which can be signed in person with Valerie or on the UCSA website.

        ii. Student Lobby Conference – Let Val know immediately if you’d like to join, as they are planning transportation and lodging. We are taking more people than usual to afford more the opportunity, so please let Val or Michelle know if you’d like to join. AGS will pay for all travel expenses if you go with the group.

 

d. VP Finance report (2)

        i. We’ll meet to do Travel Grants in a few weeks, and Project Funding shortly after that.

        ii. Also been working on budget look-over.

 

e. VP Social report (2)       

i. Karaoke night this Saturday, come!

ii. Other upcoming events: Brewery tour next weekend, Winter Wonderland, Sender One climbing, and trip to Bowers Museum. Check the website or facebook page for details and sign-ups.

 

f. VP Admin report (2)        

i. We’ll be in Newport A for rest of the year

ii. Spots still open on AGS Council if you know anyone that will be active: Arts (2), Biological Sciences (3), Humanities (2), ICS (2)

iii. Bagel Day is back, starting tomorrow and every Wednesday this quarter

 

g. Staff reports (4)

i. Aaron (COD) – SHIAC is back meeting, might need input on insurance issues later. Also looking to start SHAC committee very soon, last call if you’re interested: email Aaron. Also on ARC Board, which is working on getting childcare started for patrons of ARC. Finally, I’ve been working on Family Leave Policy

ii. International Chair (Olivia) – Bowers Event Kidseum, come join! We will also be connecting with Sarabi the Indian Students Organization for an upcoming event. We will meet with the International Center soon about their tax filing services to help promote those.

iii. Mikaela (COS) – Will be working on UC Women’s Caucus Conference, sign up for volunteer slots at next meeting. People can still submit ideas for sessions.

iv. Becky (Legislative) – Starting to work with local lobby visits, if you have any ideas on who to lobby or want to join. Also tracking bills to lobby about at SLC. PDST revisions update will come later.

v. Rahmadi (Symposium) – New website is up, please check it out. Training sessions for presenters will take place in early April.

 

 

V. Student Wellness, Health, Counseling, and Career Building Presentation by Admins Dan Dooros and Marcelle Holmes (30)

(Please talk to Michelle if you have questions or would like to see the slides)

This is a more encompassing PowerPoint to cover more of our questions from last meeting. Current cost projections: $75 million for the building, with $15 million down payment from Student Affairs, $10 million from Provost, $50 million from students. Current projection is $66/quarter fee for students. Any future donations will be cut out of student portion.

 

Motion to extend time by Connor by five minutes.

Second by Olivia, no objections. Motion is passed.

 

Motion to extend time by Olivia by ten minutes.

Second by Richard, no objections. Motion is passed.

 

 

VI.  Bill 16-42 to appoint AGS Symposium Committee Co-Chairs (5)

o   Motion to approve resolution (with fixed typos noted by Ryan) by Connor; Richard seconds; Motion passes (23-0-0)

 

 

VII. UC Women’s Caucus Leadership Conference updates (5)

Secured Student Center, main event is on February 11th. Need grad students to submit proposals, attend… Submit your registration ASAP if you can/want to attend. We also need moderators. Contact Michelle.

 

 

VIII. PDST Policy Revision (10)

Asked for AGS comments on new revision, which mainly eliminates the requirement that proposals must be submitted for increases over 5% only. Michelle and Becky met with Dean Leslie already, and requested more transparency in where the money was going.

 

 

IX. Student Center Board “Before I Die” Event (5)

Chalkboard wall in Student Center area, they need volunteers to help facilitate the event. Email council member Kate Forrest or Michelle to volunteer. She also needs a proxy for next meeting on January 18th at 4pm if you can help.

 

 

X. New business (5)

Richard: Walkout coordinated with Union on 20th at noon to protest the President’s Inauguration

Aaron: Push for family leave to be two quarters for maternity, one quarter for paternity by any means, with extensions for benchmarks, fellowships, and campus housing. Will be working on this issue going forward if you’d like to help, meeting with Dean Leslie shortly. Would also like to meet with people experiencing issues in the past or currently.

 

 

IX. Zots! (1)

-       None

 

 

X. Adjourn