Shane K.M. Wood, President
- Setting the vision for AGS and with the help of the executive board
- Planning the short and long term strategic, operational and organizational goals for AGS
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer of AGS. Chairing all meetings and deliberations of the AGS Council
- Building and sustaining vital relationships with campus partners on all matters pertaining to graduate students
- Recognizing graduate student needs and working with campus administration to fulfill those needs
- Facilitate the creation and continuation of AGS Programs and Events
- Developing the annual AGS Budget. Oversee the distribution and expenditure of funds depending on project needs
- Along with VP Finance, spearhead fundraising efforts for AGS from both on campus and external business community to fuel increased programming serving all graduate students
Shane K. M. Wood is a 4th year PhD in Theatre and Drama in the joint PhD program with UCSD through the Claire Trevor School of the Arts. His research analyzes trauma and women’s roles in religious and theatrical representation in Medieval and Early Modern England. He is the current AGS President and Graduate Co-Chair of UC’s Council of Presidents, but has been involved with student governments throughout his education. His goal for this year is to continue AGS’s robust advocacy while finding new ways of engaging with our students and their families to support all aspects of their experience. When not working with AGS or his own research, he is an overly-involved cat parent and will readily show too many pictures of Damian and Katya if prompted–and probably if not.
Jared Celniker, VP of Internal Affairs
- Represent graduate and professional student interests to all on-campus entities that affect students’ needs and rights, such as the Coordinated Governance Group, Student Health Insurance Advisory Committee, and Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Campus Climate and Inclusion
- Chair the Internal Committee, which advocates on behalf of graduate students
- Liaise with other student groups, such as the International Student Committee, ASUCI (Associated Students of UCI), AMS (Associated Medical Students), MSA (Merage Students Association), PVRC and VRC (Palo Verde and Verano Residents Councils)
- With the President, serve as a primary advocate on issues of campus housing, health care, parking, mental health, and campus climate
- Coordinate programs related to Internal Affairs
Jared Celniker is a 4th year Ph.D. student in Psychological Science. He researches a variety of topics in political and moral psychology, particularly the ways in which people judge the moral character of others. This is his third year as an AGS representative and first year as VP Internal. If you’re having trouble contacting him, check the Pub!
Connor Strobel, VP of External Affairs
- Chair the External Committee which advocates at the systemwide and national levels on behalf of UCI graduate students
- Maintain relationships with local, state, and national legislators representing UCI Students
- Educate students on issues affecting graduate education at the local and national level
- Lobby on behalf of UCI students at our local offices as well as Capitol Hill
Connor Strobel is a 5th year PhD student in Sociology. His current research centers on the framing of civil rights claims. This is his fourth year in AGS and second as the VP External. He also enjoys basketball at the ARC, trivia, and snuggling with his pet Baloo.
Richard Prince, VP of Social Affairs
- Work with the Social Committee to bring social and cultural events and programming to the graduate and professional student community
- Oversee efforts to bring a wide variety of programming to students, including but not limited to hiking and outdoors activities, the Explore event series, the Happy Grad Project, family friendly events, and more
- Represent graduate student’ interests and needs on planning committees for campus-wide events like Graduate Student Orientation
- Plan outreach programs and events that support graduate students’ health and well-being, academic success, and social lives
VP of Financial Affairs
The Vice President of Finance provides oversight and allocates AGS resources in various graduate and professional student funding requests for travel, projects, and finance programs. He oversees the finance committee and represents graduate students on fees and referendums at the executive level. This position works closely with the Pub Advisory Board (PAB), Student Fee Advisory Committee (SFAC), the AGS Core Committee and AGS General Council.
Caitlin Suire, VP of Administrative Affairs
- Work with the Communications Committee and the Campus Communications Director to ensure important issues and information are brought to the graduate community
- Appoint graduate student representatives to external committees like UCI’s Academic Senate
- Ensure transparency by keeping Council attendance and representation records
- Manage AGS’ documentation including legislation, meeting agendas and minutes, governing documents, meeting calendar and website
- When necessary, Chair a Constitution Revision Committee
- Work with the Professional Development Committee and Symposium Co-Chair to put on events for all graduate students that enhance knowledge of soft skills and professional knowledge of graduate students
Caitlin Suire is a fourth-year PhD candidate in Neurobiology and Behavior. This is her third year on the AGS Council, but her first time as VP of Administrative Affairs. Caitlin loves to be involved on campus, and participates in groups such as DECADE, GPS-STEM, and Applied Innovation. Due to her tendency to overcommit herself, Caitlin is always looking for new hobbies. If you know of anything particularly fun, feel free to reach out!