Michelle Herrera, President
- Setting the vision for AGS and with the help of the executive board
- Planning the short and long term strategic, operational and organizational goals for AGS
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer of AGS. Chairing all meetings and deliberations of the AGS Council
- Building and sustaining vital relationships with campus partners on all matters pertaining to graduate students
- Recognizing graduate student needs and working with campus administration to fulfill those needs
- Facilitate the creation and continuation of AGS Programs and Events
- Developing the annual AGS Budget. Oversee the distribution and expenditure of funds depending on project needs
- Along with VP Finance, spearhead fundraising efforts for AGS from both on campus and external business community to fuel increased programming serving all graduate students
Michelle Herrera is a 2nd year PhD student in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. In Dr. Donovan German’s lab, she studies how marine organisms acquire nutrients from their environment. Her goals as President of AGS focuses on broadening diversity and inclusiveness on campus, including advocating for the protections of undocumented students and marginalized groups. In addition, she is also interested in improving the mental well-being of graduate students and housing solutions. She enjoys singing and loves animals.
Matt Brand, VP of Internal Affairs
- Represent graduate and professional student interests to all on-campus entities that affect students’ needs and rights, such as the Coordinated Governance Group, Student Health Insurance Advisory Committee, Grad Council, and Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on Campus Climate and Inclusion
- Chair the Internal Committee, which advocates on behalf of graduate students
- Liaise with other student groups, such as the International Student Committee, ASUCI (Associated Students of UCI), AMS (Associated Medical Students), MSA (Merage Students Association), PVRC and VRC (Palo Verde and Verano Residents Councils)
- With the President, serve as a primary advocate on issues of campus housing, health care, parking, mental health, and campus climate
- Coordinate programs related to Internal Affairs
- Coordinate AGS Symposium Logistics
Matt is a third year PhD student studying environmental engineering. His goals during his tenure at AGS include: making housing more affordable for graduate students, increasing access to emergency housing for students in crisis, and creating a “UCI Graduate Student Survival Handbook.” In addition, Matt’s interests include improving the financial stability and mental health of all graduate students through programming and advocacy. On the weekends, Matt likes to go surfing or hiking with his friends.
Connor Strobel, VP of External Affairs
- Chair the External Committee which advocates at the systemwide and national levels on behalf of UCI graduate students
- Serve on the Board of Directors of the UC Student Association (UCSA)
- Conduct policy research and advocacy with UCSA on the 2015-2016 Graduate Agenda
- Maintain relationships with local, state, and national legislators representing UCI Students
- Educate students on issues affecting graduate education at the local and national level
- Lobby on behalf of UCI students at our local offices as well as Capitol Hill
Connor Strobel is a 4th year PhD student in Sociology. His current research centers on the framing of civil rights claims. This is his third year in AGS and second as the VP Internal. He also enjoys basketball at the ARC, trivia, and snuggling with his new pet Baloo.
Richard Prince, VP of Social Affairs
- Work with the Social Committee to bring social and cultural events and programming to the graduate and professional student community
- Oversee efforts to bring a wide variety of programming to students, including but not limited to hiking and outdoors activities, the Explore event series, the Happy Grad Project, family friendly events, and more
- Represent graduate student’ interests and needs on planning committees for campus-wide events like Graduate Student Orientation
- Plan outreach programs and events that support graduate students’ health and well-being, academic success, and social lives
Michelle Chan, VP of Financial Affairs
The Vice President of Finance provides oversight and allocates AGS resources in various graduate and professional student funding requests for travel, projects, and finance programs. He oversees the finance committee and represents graduate students on fees and referendums at the executive level. This position works closely with the Pub Advisory Board (PAB), Student Fee Advisory Committee (SFAC), the AGS Core Committee and AGS General Council.
Michelle Chan is a 5th year PhD student in the School of Nursing. Michelle has been part of AGS Council since 2014. During her 2016-2017 term, she brought the UC Women’s Caucus Leadership Conference to UC Irvine which hosted students from across the UC to represent the needs of women and womxn. This year, Michelle plans to continue the success of AGS programs and to focus on temporary housing solutions, food access, and professional development for non-academic careers. Outside of school, Michelle enjoys hot yoga, biking, and reading.
Shane Wood, VP of Administrative Affairs
- Work with the Communications Committee and the Campus Communications Director to ensure important issues and information are brought to the graduate community
- Appoint graduate student representatives to external committees like UCI’s Academic Senate
- Ensure transparency by keeping Council attendance and representation records
- Manage AGS’ documentation including legislation, meeting agendas and minutes, governing documents, meeting calendar and website
- When necessary, Chair a Constitution Revision Committee
Shane Wood is a third-year PhD student in Drama and Theatre. When not working with AGS, Shane researches Medieval and Early Modern Women’s Performance with emphases on religious rites and trauma. He is an adjunct instructor of English, Drama, and Humanities and Director at various campuses throughout the Inland Empire and OC. As Vice President for Administrative Affairs Shane manages the AGS office, supervises the Chief-of-Staff, Campus Communications Director, and the International, Family, and LGBTQ+ Engagement Chairs, and oversees the AGS contact form. He is considered by some to be overly invested in the life of his cats.