This year, AGS is providing $15,500 of funding toward student-created events or projects which seek to improve the graduate student experience at UC Irvine. Each organization or group of students can request project funds of up to $1,500 per academic year. Any graduate student in good standing may apply and funding will be awarded to the projects which AGS Funding Committee expects will best contribute to a rich and varied extra-curricular life at the university.
- Plan an awesome event!
- Submit an application for your project before the application period deadline.
- Show up for your assigned time slot and pitch your project to the AGS Funding Committee. Your project request will be assessed using the guidelines listed below and according to the AGS Constitution and Bylaws.
- Receive notification of funding within several days.
- Throw your awesome event!
- Document your event
- Submit receipts for reimbursement
|Quarter||Application Deadlines||Preliminary Notification Given On:||For Events Taking Place After:|
|Fall 2018||October 5th||October 12th||October 8th|
|November 9th||November 16th||December 3rd|
|Winter 2019||January 11th||January 18th||February 4th|
|February 15th||February 22nd||March 1st|
|Spring 2019||March 29th||April 8th||April 15th|
|May 10th||May 17th||May 27th|
Applications will be accepted twice a quarter starting Fall 2018. Please submit an application and the VP of Finance will contact you to set up a meeting time to pitch your idea to the AGS Funding Committee. Application forms will be due by 5pm on the deadline stated and will be considered by funding committee. Past events are not eligible for funding. Funding is not guaranteed and we strongly encourage you to apply far enough in advance to secure external funding if needed.
The funding committee considers each application on a case-by-case basis with the intention of selecting projects which will contribute the most to extra-curricular graduate student life. It does operate under a set of general guidelines, however, in order to ensure fair and equitable access to funding:
- Projects tend to be funded at between $5 and $10 per graduate student attendee.
- We seek to give money to many different groups so that nearly all or all graduate students benefit from AGS funding.
- Academic departments on campus are not eligible for project funding. Groups comprised of students from one department are still eligible.
- Costs of education that students normally should pay for are not eligible for funding (i.e. fees, rent, costumes, books, travel, etc.).
- Projects which form a central part of degree projects, such as those required for thesis, dissertation typing, plays, sculpture, etc. should not be funded unless there is a clear demonstration that there is a benefit for the graduate population at large (i.e. advertising events).
- Project funds are intended to improve the social and academic environment of the UCI campus for graduate students.
- Groups which have a proven track-record of hosting successful events will be given preference over those which do not, especially for larger grants.
- Projects which receive AGS funding are expected to be advertised widely to the graduate student body at UCI.
- Past projects are not eligible for funding.